Quintessence Larp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quintessence Larp

This is the Forum for the quintessence live action role playing game held in Louisiana.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spell costs cont

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Justin

Justin

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:04 am

I can't help but feel that you on concentrating to much on end game, and not enough on front game. This is great for the players who will be starting out at the begining, and hard core LARPers who join later, but what about the new LARPers who want to give your game a try in the future? Also, you assume that all players will pre-make characters, and have awesome character histories. I suggest that you assume other wise.
I have two different spell cost progressions to suggest.
1st 2,2,2,2
2nd 3,3,3,3
3rd 4,4,4,4
4th 5,5,5,5
5th 6,6,6,6
6th 7,7,7,7
7th 8,8,8,8

This will put a full column at 140 (112), but give new characters one more spell at start.

1st 1,1,1,1
2nd 2,2,2,2
3rd 3,3,3,3
4th 5,5,5,5
5th 6,6,6,6
6th 7,7,7,7
7th 10,10,10,10

This will put a full column at 136 (108), but give new characters four more spells, or three spells and a weapon.

All I really want to see is casters as viable as melee at front game. A starting melee going for one weapon fighting could start with one prof and one strength (not including any racial).

Although with as much as you want a column to cost, and the short duration of buffs, I am not sure how viable casters are long term either. But I guess that is what alpha is for.
Back to top Go down
PlotChris

PlotChris

Nick : Extra Undead Activity

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:29 pm

I'll talk to Ryan and Shawn about the progression here.

I am about to leave for Basic Training even as I am typing this, so it is an issue that may not be fully addressed and solved for some time.
Back to top Go down
PlotChris

PlotChris

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Actually. On second thought, I like the first progression of costs that you suggested and am going to make an executive decision and change it to that progression.

Note that I don't have time to go and make all the spell cost edits but I will make a post using that progression.
Back to top Go down
Crimson
Admin
Crimson

Nick : Shawn Hunter

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 1:27 am

Justin wrote:
All I really want to see is casters as viable as melee at front game. A starting melee going for one weapon fighting could start with one prof and one strength (not including any racial).

Although with as much as you want a column to cost, and the short duration of buffs, I am not sure how viable casters are long term either. But I guess that is what alpha is for.

Well how I look at it is that casters are not supposed to be front line fighters. Now we haven't Posted all the Advantages, yet (because there are skill based advantages as well) and we have options there for you. Casters are squishy but hit hard, the reason they are called "Glass Cannons" To make up for the staying power of the Fighters, the casters have the ability to put them down quicker. In essence like in all games i've played, casters are not supposed to have the stamina, otherwise the larp would just be casters and nothing else.

Now If your looking into a caster with the staying power of a fighter, I would Suggest The Warlock Advantages From the Skill Advantages Sections that I am going to put up. (Since Chris Recently Gave me back My logistics Binder) The Warlocks will have staying power at the expense of casting power, and that is the route you want to go if you want the stamina. Also Since the core casting system runs off of prepared spells, There is a second Option for casters for Versatility, Sorcerer. Though The Downside of Taking either of those Builds is the Loss of gaining metamagic.

That is right You hear it, We are doing metamagic In this game for prepared casters. To give them a little extra oomph. But like all good wizards, Preperation is everything (D&D and Phoenix has taught us this.)
Back to top Go down
https://quintessence.forumotion.com
PlotRyan
Admin

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 2:15 am

I need a concrete value for the magic skill. Do we have one or is it still being debated, because I would like to re-open the discussion so that others may include themselves.
Back to top Go down
PlotChris

PlotChris

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Ryan, if you'd take a look at the Arcane List, you'd see that I took on Justin's first suggestion for spell progression. It's a nice solid number for a full column given that this is a 20sp/level system. It also balances out advancement a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spell costs cont Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell costs cont   Spell costs cont Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spell costs cont
Page 1 of 1