Quintessence Larp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quintessence Larp

This is the Forum for the quintessence live action role playing game held in Louisiana.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

magic costs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Justin

Justin

magic costs Empty
PostSubject: magic costs   magic costs Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 11:00 am

Looking at the costs of spells, I couldn't help but notice how high they were. If some one wanted to make a pure caster, at starting level (30 SP) they can only have four level one spells.That is unless you play a race that has an advantage that lowers the costs of spells, and even then that only allows you to buy one additional level 2 spell. This is a huge discouragement to anybody who hoped to be a caster. Not to mention how much this would hurt available healing in the game.

Also, you claim that there won't be any cookie cuttering, but with the high costs of spells, I can see people who want to play certain types of casters sticking with the races that get to buy the spells cheaper. It costs 128 SP to buy a full four column, unless you are one of those races, which lowers the cost to 93. A saving of 35 points is pretty major, and in my opinion anybody who wanted to play a dark caster and not play a demon is crazy etc.

Now, maybe this is intentional, maybe you want to down play the importance of spell combat and limit healing in the game. Just saying from a player's stand point, and a seasoned larp caster, this really sucks.
Back to top Go down
PlotChris

PlotChris

Nick : Extra Undead Activity

magic costs Empty
PostSubject: Re: magic costs   magic costs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 pm

A full column in Dreamscape costs 160 points. I understand that a standard 'full' column is only through Level 7 spells for us, but it has all the same trappings. Just across more spell lists. And there are no IKs.

128 points is only 6.4 levels, 93 is level 4.65. If you think that is too high to be a full column caster...well, I don't really know what to say about that. I mean...6.4 levels is nothing. Being able to max your starting points at 45 points, and full game play allowing for double capping. You can reach that straight away by your 3rd event.

That is more than low enough level in my opinion.

On a slightly different note the game is supposed to be highly lethal. That side of the game mechanics is intentional. Hopefully lots of people decide to invest in First Aid.

Also notice that the buffs generally only last 10 minutes, some are even as little as 5 minutes. It is very rare to be longer than that, and those that are, generally fall into the Master and above power levels.

On another note, Level 8 and 9 Spells are only accessible through the buying of Mastery Theories and casting of actual Mastery rituals.
Back to top Go down

magic costs
Page 1 of 1